Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Joseph Had a Little Overcoat




Taback, Simms. JOSEPH HAD A LITTLE OVERCOAT. New York: Scholastic Inc., 1999.
ISBN 0-439-21697-4



Plot
The book is based on a Yiddish folk song: I had a Little Overcoat. The story tells of Joseph and his ability to make something useful out of something old and worn. He transforms his coat into a jacket, vest, scarf, necktie, handkerchief and finally a button. It is then that he looses the button and when Joseph finally has nothing else to transform, he writes down the journey of his coat.

Critical analysis
In addition to the die cut technique, Simms Taback uses watercolor, Gouache, pencil, ink and collage to illustrate the book. Each page is filled with vibrant colors and is a feast to the observant eye. Using the illustrations, students may be able to conclude Joseph's trade, hobbies, his marital status and his religion. The book's die cuts provide great clues to the beginning reader as they try to figure how the coat will be transformed next. The beginning reader will also enjoy the repeated story pattern. My three year old daughter was able to joyfully complete my sentence as I flipped through the pages.
I could find no weakness in this Caldecott winner. Quite the contrary, I found the book inviting and appreciated Taback's attention given to detail on each page. The numerous miniature pictures, the intricate design on the sugar bowl, the pattern on the rug are all a true work of art.
Connections
I was delighted to see that my students noticed the menorah in Joseph's home. Thus, they concluded he was Jewish. While none of my students are Jewish, I had exposed them to Something From Nothing by Phoebe Gillman and they gained a bits and pieces of the Jewish faith. Students would enjoy comparing and contrasting the two stories. My daughter also enjoyed chiming in when the repetitive portion of the story would come up. She joyfully ended the sentences for me. I was so delighted with the artwork and the beautiful simplicity of the story that I added Joseph had a Little Overcoat to our home collection trusting it will be read and re-read numerous times.
Review excerpt from Booklist:
"Taback's mixed-media and collage illustrations are alive with warmth, humor, and humanity. Their colors are festive yet controlled, and they are filled with homey clutter, interesting characters, and a million details to bring children back again and again."










No comments:

Lover of books

Lover of books
The book that started it all!